For this activity, I still did not understand what algorithms were. I knew I wanted to create some kind of algorithmic art, but didn’t know how. I finally decided on creating something abstract/colorful, in the simplest way. I decided on this because I love things abstract, especially if it’s colorful, so I thought of something that anybody could do in art.
1. Get a piece of paper and 5 colors that are not similar (i.e., if you’re using red, you can’t use pink later on). In my case, I had no white paper so I had to settle for an index card.
2. Take one color and create little squares by scribbling up and down. Spread this color randomnly throughout the piece of paper. The squares can be in any size you want.
3. Repeat step 2 with a different color. Color 1 and color 2 can touch, just focus on spreading out that color.
4. Slowly fill the paper with each different color.
5. Once all colors are used and the paper is moderately filled, you’re done.
6. If you would like to fill out the entire piece of paper, you may continue and add more colors if you wish. I like to think the white empty spaces created a kind of unity in the piece, so I left it there.
I was pretty satisfied with my results. I wanted to create something visually relaxing with balance and color, and this settled pretty well for me. It is also a simple procedure that anybody could do!